Monday, June 20, 2016

Google Forms: In-and-Outs

I used the http://www.atomiclearning.com/highed/en/gdocs_spreadforms link to learn about several ways to use Google spreadsheets and forms. The links began by focusing on the basics of a spreadsheet. I learned a few ways to create a cleaner form, and make it look more official and with less space. I then watched several videos about sending links of my forms to my students and others, as well as understanding the results of tests. The last portion of videos I watched focused on grading tests and doing so automatically through Sheets. I liked these videos, because they seemed to really be applicable to my future teaching. Automatic grading allows for less time focused on grading, and more time focused on my lesson and students. The process if done correctly seemed to eliminate many mistakes and problems. I liked how the videos showed that as my knowledge of Google and forms grow, then I will be able to create new forms faster and with more abilities for my classroom.
I followed the direction on the packet to create a test on Tennessee’s history. I learned how to create a test and link that information to a spreadsheet on Google. While creating the form test I learned how to create a test and multiple choice questions. Within that I learned how to make questions required and add new questions. The spreadsheet then recorded the answers, and compared it to answer guide I created. I then used “if-then-statements” to grade the forms. After grading all the forms automatically, then I found the averages and compared missed questions. I then learned to import the information from that form to another spreadsheet. Within doing that, I learned to text wrap, move columns, import individual answers, and alphabetize students. I liked how with just a few formulas all the quizzes could be graded, then I could import those grades to a separate document. I would like to explore other formulas that might be helpful to creating future forms and spreadsheets. I think I will definitely use my newly found knowledge of forms and spreadsheets, so that I can eliminate wasted time and make my overall job easier/efficient.
My Tennessee History Test:
My Trivia Responses:
My Imported Test Grades:

Graham says several things about using Google Forms and relates how they can be used to meet Common Core State Standards. Google forms help students become college and career ready. Forms help students be able to “present information, findings, and supporting evidence” in ways that may not be available in other teaching methods. They also allow for a deeper understanding of material that is often hard for CCSS. Using Google Forms also helps meet standards about using digital media and displays to express information about different topics. Also forms can be part of meeting standards that express the need to conduct research projects to solve problems and synthesizing multiple sources on a subject. Also Anchor Standard 6 calls for using tools wisely by students. In grade 4 students must also learn to quantify information using different charts on webpages to understand information in different ways. Google forms allow student to explore information using collaboration and thinking that relates directly to understanding content.

1 comment: