Monday, June 13, 2016

Using Apps to Make Spelling and English More Enjoyable

The My Spelling Test App is a free app available on IPads. The app functions as modern way to take spelling tests and practice overall spelling. Once someone records the audio for each question and writes a sentence to insert the word into, then a student is asked to spell that word. If answered correctly then the app goes on to the next question, or if spelled wrong shows how to correctly spell the word. Creating a spelling test and taking a spelling test was pretty simple with easy to follow directions. The video we watched also shows a way to transfer the app to a Smartboard format. The only I problem I see is that students do not actually write the answer, and some students learn best through engaging spelling through writing over typing. My Spelling Test App also allows for independent practice anywhere at any time and can be taken multiple times for struggling students. I believe that I could easily use this app in my future classroom. I could record the test and have students answer it in class to eliminate wasted time in test taking, but I am not sure about if or how tests scores are saved. Students could finish at their own pace, and I could use most of the same tests each year after making the first tests. However, I think it could best be used for practice or a pre-assessment before a new spelling unit. The app could also be something I would have my entire class or struggling students to do at home if they want to succeed but are struggling.


The Merriam-Webster Dictionary App allows for words to be looked up using an online database. Words can be spelled out or voiced searched, then their meaning can be found. The definitions provide the meanings of the word, parts of speech, examples of using the word in a sentence, and pronunciation guides for each word. Many of the words also have audio pronunciation that could be used to help learning new words or in teaching an ESL/EFL students. The “Word of the Day” feature allows for new words to be learned to even the best students. I believe that I could easily use Merriam-Webster Dictionary App in my future classroom. I think that students could practice looking up new or difficult words, which is a good life skill. This app could be used the first day with spelling tests or along side any reading assignment. Students would able to look up a difficult word, know its meaning, how to pronounce it, and have examples that may further help with understanding. The app has continuous adds so supervision or disciplined students may be needed for students using the app to not be distracted. This app allows for students to understand the meaning of words whether the teacher is available or not, so that learning continues and is not stopped by a difficult word.

1 comment: