Thursday, June 16, 2016

Exploring Making a Gradebook

I have only barely used any spreadsheet software. I found the beginning of this project to be very difficult, but I slowly figured everything out. I learned the key with finding averages was my break through. I still think there are probably many other ways to format my spreadsheet, but my overall spreadsheet works effectively for now. I liked the ability to color key information, or just anything I desired. I liked how quickly the grade sheet worked after making the first one. I liked how I could just change a few parts and the grade quickly changed as well. The grade book was hard to create at first, but with each new copy the work definitely paid off. I definitely think I could use Google Spreadsheets in my future. I want to learn more about the functions outside of sum and average. I want to learn if there is any templates that are already available for my future classroom. Also another way to bring all my individual averages for my students to one home page. I also think knowing the averages for each part of the grades might be helpful.

Links for five student's grade book:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12GuA2aNxfntOs5SOtT6A4XZE5AcVI9TyqcG4gTXBwzk/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jIIOa9brjRa5ED3jcO6ptH3jxxZJBblSrKEZEJZGsgA/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Its02Pa1QrgTpxY6OKGHdAtRlYNhkn-0FTZhk5d0iQ0/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xf9-mx8Dr4oMNHkzVQflYESwMyGoE1LAj-_FhI5ZrZo/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DCqhy7mvZBvr97V2-uNLFi-PvI-_zYDPLJUJeKUQwVY/edit?usp=sharing

Graham says that Google Spreadsheets software can be used to meet Common Core Standards about using math tools wisely. It could also be used to meet any standards about exploring statistics or plotting stats. It would also be a great tool to understand averages and scores. Also Google Spreadsheets is a great tool to meet standards about understanding and recording data. Graham also says that Mathematical Practice Standard 5 describes needing to see mathematics visually. They also need to be able to compare and make predictions. Also this program allows student to be able to manipulate and explore mathematics in a unique way.

1 comment:

  1. This is fine. Combining these grades to an integrated spreadsheet for all students will take less time in the long run. However, you can do it this way for a while and innovations will occur to you. My goal to get you using a spreadsheet and thinking about it in terms of grades has been met.

    Thanks for your hard work on this. :-)

    ReplyDelete